Designed in 1864 to display Lord Leighton's collection of Islamic tiles, the house's centrepiece is a two-storey opulent domed Arab Hall with a central fountain. The whole interior of the house is richly decorated, with ceramic tiles, rich paintwork and gilded ceilings.
The building had subsequently been extended and used as a school. Having removed much of the troubling ephemera that had accumulated over the years, PMT paid meticulous attention to services, re-decoration, lighting and complex external re-instatements, including the restoration of the rooftop ziggurat.
Painstaking research and a strong collaboration between client and architect and a careful eking out of the budget have meant the original character of the building has been accurately though not slavishly recreated. This is a masterpiece of conservation.