This important new cultural facility for Dundee adapts the existing 1867 Albert Institute, designed by George Gilbert Scott and its 1889 extension, the Victoria Galleries, without losing the integrity of the Grade A structure.
A new accessible entrance has been created by punching through an existing Gothic window, creating an internal glazed lobby and turning around the orientation of the building to create a sense of arrival. New circulation, including a boldly contemporary sculptural stairway and lift, creates a very legible route to the finely restored galleries behind. Altering the orientation of the building enabled the creation of a small, hard-landscaped fronting plaza. The McManus Galleries are a triumph for a city that has excelled with building for the arts.