The original public bathhouse was built in 1931 when only 4% of households in Finsbury had a bath. A swimming pool was added 1938. Both buildings belong to an era when municipal architecture meant something.
The architects created a new basement by reconfiguring load-bearing walls, allowing the spaces to feel lighter, more transparent and welcoming. The new finishes internally use terrazzo and iroko joinery which offer a durable civic quantity in the spirit of the original buildings. Yet the feel is modern and the baths have all-new services and fittings to current standards, maximising sustainability and accessibility.
The client has commented:
‘Tim Ronalds Architects brought a multitude of skills to a complex refurbishment project, ranging from a visionary approach at the outset through to the minutiae of detail.'