RIBA Stirling Prize shortlist 2011
This year is the first time the shortlist includes practices who have all previously been shortlisted for the RIBA Stirling Prize; and also includes two RIBA Stirling Prize winners: David Chipperfield Architects and Zaha Hadid Architects.
RIBA Stirling midlist
To reach the RIBA Stirling shortlist, the RIBA Awards Group study the recent RIBA Award winners and produce a list of the best buildings. This is based on reports from the juries that visited them in the earlier stage.
The Awards Group go on to visit all UK based buildings (as EU visits have already taken place). Listed below are all the buildings that were chosen for this stage and competed for the final six places:
- Sandal Magna School, Sheffield - Sarah Wigglesworth Architects
- Wise Building, Machnynlleth - David Lea & Pat Borer Architects
- Apex and Arc, Bury St Edmunds - Hopkins Architects
- Marshland Discovery, Rainham Marshes - Peter Beard_LANDROOM
- Circle Bath Hospital - Foster and Partners
- Kendrew Quad, Oxford - MJP Architects
- Rothschild Foundation, Waddesden - Stephen Marshall Architects
- Sevenoaks School - Tim Ronalds Architects
- Ravensbourne College - Foreign Office Architects
- Bear Lane - Panter Hudspith
- Chelsea Academy - Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- Raven Row - 6a Architects
- One New Change - Atelier Jean Nouvel with Siddell Gibson
- City of Westminster College - schmidt hammer lassen architects
- Harbour Island Appts, Copenhagen - Lundgaard & Tranberg
- SEB HQ, Copenhagen - Lundgaard & Tranberg
- Faustino Winery, Spain - Foster and Partners
About the Stirling Prize
Now in its sixteenth year, the RIBA Stirling Prize in association with The Architects' Journal and Benchmark is awarded to architects of the best new European building 'built or designed in Britain'.
The winner will announced at the RIBA Stirling Prize dinner on Saturday 1 October 2011. This year's venue is Magna Science and Adventure Centre in Rotherham, winner of the 2001 RIBA Stirling Prize. The ceremony will be broadcast on a special edition of BBC Two's The Culture Show, presented by Kevin McCloud.