The Concrete Centre aims to enable everyone involved in the design and use of concrete to realise the potential of concrete. As a centre for excellence and design guidance, The Concrete Centre offers a wide range of concrete information and assistance.
The Concrete Centre
4 Meadows Business Park
Station Approach Blackwater
Fax: +44 (0)1276 606801
CPD booking contact
Tel: +44 (0)1276 606800
Approved CPD materials
Utilisation of Thermal Mass
- Heavyweight construction can play a significant part in the design of energy efficient buildings through passive heating and cooling, particularly as average temperatures are rising.
- This presentation provides principles and design techniques for utilising thermal mass as part of a passive solar design strategy, including night time cooling, solar shading and orientation.
- The admittance factors of different wall constructions are explored and comparisons of embodied and operation CO2 emissions illustrated.
- Built examples illustrate the effective use of concrete with these techniques.
The Sustainability Credentials of Concrete
This seminar aims to examine:
- Government legislation to reduce CO2 emissions is one aspect of sustainability that effects key decision making at all stages of design.
- The definition of sustainability through the inherent benefits and credentials of concrete.
- On-going and new initiatives for concrete to become industry leaders in sustainability including life-cycle performance, embodied/in-use CO2 emissions and responsible sourcing.
- Guidance on options for the sustainable specification of concrete and a holistic approach to the topic.
The Code for Sustainable Homes: Energy Solutions
This seminar aims to examine:
- The overall structure of the Code for Sustainable Homes, the distribution of credits and process of assessment, plus further detailed guidance
- The current and future minimum performance standards and how masonry and concrete construction can be utilised to meet all levels of the Code through exploration of construction details, wall thicknesses and U-values, reduced air leakage and thermal bridging.
- Built examples illustrate how the higher levels of the code can be met for social and private housing.
Architectural Precast Solutions
- The variety of finishes, colours and textures are explored through explanation of the manufacturing process and finishing techniques.
- Explanation of the construction and re-use of form work, benefits of just-in-time delivery and installation will inform your early and detailed design decisions.
- New innovations including ultra-high-strength concrete, translucent concrete and geotextile formed concrete are presented
Achieving Visual Concrete
- The achievement of visual concrete requires a comprehensive approach and this module is structured by topics, prelims, sourcing materials and mix design, site practice, formwork, construction joints and striking times reinforcement, control, design for weathering and in service use
- You will learn to identify the factors and importance in the achievement of good visual concrete, analyse concrete mix design and essential requirements of BS8500
- Evaluate causes of variations in finish and propose course of action to avoid or remedy these
A Range of Courses and Lectures
For more information visit: