Battersea Power Station © Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Library Photographs Collection 1934
Giles Gilbert Scott descended from a family of architects, being the grandson of Sir George Gilbert Scott (already a Royal Gold Medallist), the son of George Gilbert Scott, and the nephew of John Oldrid Scott.
He worked under Temple Lushington Moore in 1899 and was able to develop his own architectural style during this period. Giles was also allowed to witness his father’s designs, which were sometimes as more superior to his grandfathers.
Born: 1880 (-1960)
Scott’s best-known work, and also the work which he spent most of his life on, was Liverpool Anglican Cathedral. He won the competition in 1902, when he was just 22, and the Dean and Chapter of the cathedral recommended that, because of his age, Scott should work on the designs with George Frederick Bodley, a member of the cathedral design panel. Unfortunately, Bodley and Scott did not see eye to eye, and Scott was about to leave the project when Bodley suddenly died in 1907.
© RIBA Library Photographs Collection 1933
This meant that Scott could continue the project in his style – by redesigning out Bodley’s contributions. Liverpool Cathedral was completed in 1924, although the tower was not completed for another 18 years, and the nave (main body of the church) after Scott’s death. The cathedral was finally finished in 1980.
Scott was also famous for designing the red K2 GPO telephone box, which graced many a British street. The classical structure of the box was the favourite with the judges and was put into mass production from 1935.
Buildings by Scott:
- Church of the Annunciation, Bournemouth, 1906
- Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, 1924
- Memorial court at Clare College, Cambridge, 1934
- William Booth Memorial Training College, South London, 1932
- Battersea Power Station, London, 1933