In 1772 the 10th Earl of Pembroke commissioned William Chambers to design a covered tennis court at Wilton House in Wiltshire. In preparation for the project Chambers instructed his office to complete a series of measured drawings of existing covered tennis courts, including this famous example in Paris, Maçon’s. Wilton House, which is still the home of the Pembroke family, holds another set of these drawings. The original wooden tennis court in Paris has long disappeared, as has that which was built at Wilton.
Article by Susan Pugh, Curator, RIBA Library Drawings and Archives Collections, British Architectural Library, RIBA
Image: Measured drawing (transverse section) of Maçon’s covered tennis court, Paris, ca. 1772.
© RIBA Library Drawings and Archives Collections