Bedford Lemere & Co. was the leading English firm of architectural photographers between 1870 and 1930. Established in 1861 by Bedford Lemere, it pioneered the photography of new buildings at a time of unparalleled change. The firm’s customers included architects, designers, industrialists and retailers. All were keen to exploit the relatively new medium of photography in order to record and promote their businesses. Bedford Lemere's son Henry (always known as Harry) joined the firm in 1881. He, his father and their assistants were technically outstanding photographers, working with 12 x 10 inch glass-plate negatives to produce images of exceptional quality and sharpness. The largest collection of the firm's surviving glass-plate negatives is held by English Heritage.