In the 1920s and 1930s architects produced a number of striking shop designs in Britain. Influenced by the 1925 Paris exhibition
and other Continental examples, many shops and chain stores rebuilt their premises, or at least modernised their façades. Architects became interested in shop design, using marble, neon and chrome, and critics praised the way in which the Modern Movement revitalised this sphere of design. Many of these innovative interiors and façades are now sadly gone.
Based on the exhibition ‘The Modern Shop: Architecture & Shopping between the Wars’ from the V&A + RIBA Architecture Partnership, held 2 March - 4 June 2006 in Room 128a, Architecture Gallery, Victoria and Albert Museum.
Curator: Eleanor Gawne (RIBA)
Supported by the Drue Heinz Trust