The Vines, Lime Street, Liverpool was first opened by Albert B. Vines in 1867. It underwent a major refurbishment in 1907, resulting in the opulent Edwardian Baroque building that survives today. The architect was Walter Thomas, who was also responsible for the famous Philharmonic in Liverpool. Both Thomas's public houses are now grade II* listed buildings. Here we see one of the two ornate fireplaces in The Vines, this one complete with Viking ships in the Smoke Room.