Changing the face of London Underground

Arnos Grove elevation

Arnos Grove underground station, elevation and section

Ink on tracing paper
Architect: Charles Holden (1875-1960) for Adams Holden & Pearson
Copyright: RIBA Library Drawings and Archives Collections


Arnos Grove opened to the public in September 1932 and served as a temporary terminus for the Piccadilly line extension from Finsbury Park. Charles Hutton who worked within the Adams Holden & Pearson office, supervised its completion which took only six months. It is uncertain whether Arnos Grove or Chiswick Park was started after Sudbury Town station but it is probable that due to the heavy workload, several stations were designed simultaneously by the small team of assistants in Holden's office.
 
 
Top of page