Changing the face of London Underground

Cockfosters

Drawing of Cockfosters underground station, aerial view

Pencil and coloured crayon
Architect: Charles Holden (1875-1960) for Adams Holden & Pearson
Copyright: RIBA Library Drawings and Archives Collections


Cockfosters opened in July 1933 and unlike previous Holden stations did not follow the box-type design. The station was below ground level with an angled roof structure sitting over the platforms. This was Holden's modernist version of the great Victorian terminus stations. As this early sketch shows, the street level buildings were to include a pair of towers on either side of the road. These were never built and the northern terminus of the Piccadilly line has only ever had rather modest, single storey street entrances.
 
 
Top of page