Changing the face of London Underground

Southgate plan and elevation

Southgate underground station, plan and elevation

Architect: Charles Holden (1875-1960) for Adams Holden & Pearson
Copyright: TfL from the London Transport Museum collection


Opening in March 1933, Southgate used the circular plan of Arnos Grove but with a much lower booking hall and a continuous strip of narrow windows inserted below the roof to provide daylight inside. The simple circular form is exploited further with the interior, lined with shops and station offices, a central free-standing ticket office and escalators leading down to the platforms.
 
 
Top of page