Fitness for Purpose

Old Street

Exterior view of Old Street underground station

Photographed by Underground Group Photo Dept.
Architects: Stanley Heaps (1878-1962) and Charles Holden (1875-1960)
Copyright: TfL from the London Transport Museum collection


Holden was asked to redesign the exterior and ticket hall of six stations on the City and South London Tube (later to become the Northern line). These were part reconstructions of the original stations opened between 1890 and 1900. At Old Street the Victorian brick building was remodelled. Working in collaboration with Stanley Heaps, the Underground Group architect, Holden used the same geometric forms and blue station name frieze as at Westminster but dressed with cream ceramic blocks and tiling rather than Portland stone.

 
 
Top of page