Fitness for Purpose

Stockwell

Exterior view of Stockwell underground station

Photographed by Topical Press
Architects: Stanley Heaps (1878-1962) and Charles Holden (1875-1960)
Copyright: TfL from the London Transport Museum collection


Stockwell, the original terminus of the first deep level electric tube line opened in 1890, was rebuilt in 1923. A low rectilinear building, Holden contrasted this by introducing a bold parapet above the entrance, detailed with the roundel surrounded by a double frame of black tiles. Despite all the re-designed stations being on the same underground line, Holden styled each frontage differently but with key features and materials repeated to provide consistency.

 
 
Top of page