Fitness for Purpose

Westminster

Exterior of Westminster underground station

Architect: Charles Holden (1875-1960) for Adams Holden & Pearson
Copyright: TfL from the London Transport Museum collection


In 1924, Holden began his work for the Underground with a small trial project to redesign the side entrance to Westminster station. The original entrance was cluttered and confusing with different signs, posters and architectural detailing. By introducing flat surfaces, carefully arranged publicity material, the blue station name frieze over the entrance with the company's bar and circle logo mounted on Portland stone, Holden transformed the façade.  

 
 
Top of page