Holdenesque

George Lane

George Lane underground station

Pencil and coloured crayon
Architect: Charles Holden (1875-1960) for Adams Holden & Pearson
Copyright: RIBA Library Drawings and Archives Collections


This early concept sketch is for George Lane station, due to be rebuilt as part of the Central line eastern extension. It was to replace the original Great Eastern Railway station, which was renamed South Woodford in 1937. Holden's design was never realised and only a partial reconstruction was carried out by London Transport for the introduction of Tube services after the war.
 
 
Top of page