Moving Underground

Highgate

Sketch for alternative entrance design for Highgate underground station with photograph of entrance

Photographed by Topical Press
Architect: Charles Holden (1875-1960) for Adams Holden & Pearson
Copyright: RIBA Library Drawings and Archives Collections (sketch) and TfL from the London Transport Museum collection (photograph)


The original street facades at Archway station (formerly Highgate) were in Leslie Green's standard ox-blood glazed brick style for the Hampstead Tube, opened in 1907. Holden took on the challenge of modernising the station frontage by exploring sculptural forms including flutes and sweeps as an alternative entranceway to the station. The final executed design featured a simple picture window with roundel mounted above the entrance canopy. The station was rebuilt again in the 1970s.
 
 
Top of page