Moving Underground

South Wimbledon

Design drawing for South Wimbledon underground station

Pencil and coloured crayon
Architect: Charles Holden (1875-1960) for Adams Holden & Pearson
Copyright: RIBA Library Drawings and Archives Collections


All of the intermediate stations on the Morden extension were on street corner sites. At South Wimbledon there was enough space for a gently curving rather than angular façade, but in the same style. As this sketch shows, Holden used the same principles, inserting entrance voids into the façade with the shallow canopy stretching across, supporting the signage above. Large windows, centrally positioned above the entrance, provided the ticket hall with plenty of daylight.
 
 
Top of page