Design Teams Shortlisted for New Generation of Mental Health Facilities
South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust has shortlisted some of the country's leading design teams in a competition – run by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) to develop its new generation of inpatient mental health facilities.
'There is a clear correlation between the recovery of people with mental illness and the environment in which they are cared for' said Kim Goddard, Director of Nursing and Operations at South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust, who also said
'We are looking for innovative and imaginative solutions to create an environment of safety, privacy and dignity for people who are often at the most vulnerable time of their lives. We know from our patients and their carers that this is integral to recovery and the Trust is committed to delivering this vision for the future of mental health services in South West London.'
Of the 35 submissions received, the selection panel which included representatives of the Trust, its service user group and the RIBA - shortlisted eight teams to go forward to the competitive interview process.
The RIBA's advisor, John Jenner, said 'The RIBA received a number of very well considered submissions for this important project, resulting in an outstanding list of shortlisted practices.'
The eight shortlisted teams are:
- Allford Hall Monaghan Morris with Sonnemanntoon, BBUK, Elliott Wood, Max Fordham and Davis Langdon
- Allies and Morrison with Max Fordham, Davies Maguire & Whitby, Equals Consulting and Townshend Landscape Architects
- Feilden Clegg Bradley with Max Fordham, Atelier One, Grant Associates, EC Harris and Kaethe Burt O’Dea Healthcare Research
- Henley Halebrown Rorrison with Price & Myers, Buro Happold, Plincke and Davis Langdon
- CF Moller with Arup, Gardiner and Theobald
- David Morley Architects with Anshen + Allen, (part of Stantec Architecture), Andy Sturgeon, Price and Myers, Max Fordham LLP, Davis Langdon, Willis Newson and Luke Hughes & Company
- Penoyre & Prasad with Patel Taylor, Max Fordham, Price & Myers and Davis Langdon
- Reiach & Hall with Atkins, Horner and MacLennan, DSSR, SKM and Davis Langdon
The final result of the design competition will be announced in mid-November.