Proposals for a new gallery to display the Royal Institute of British Architects’ (RIBA) permanent collection within the Institute’s Art Deco headquarters at 66 Portland Place, W1 have been approved by Westminster Council.
Built in 1934 to the design of Grey Wornum, the Grade II* listed building is one of the most significant early-mid twentieth century buildings in London. The new gallery, designed by architects Carmody Groarke, will offer major public exhibitions that draw on the RIBA’s collections. The RIBA has one of the top three architectural collections in the world, including original drawings, photographs, models and furniture.
The new gallery is located at ground floor level and entered through a new opening in the historic limestone wall. Architects Carmody Groarke have worked closely with Julian Harrap, the RIBA’s appointed Listed Building Expert, to ensure the project is sensitive to the original building; new materials will continue the rich palette of the existing building and form a strong legacy connection between the new and old.
The project is now progressing to detail design with the gallery due to be open in 2014.