Jane Duncan has been elected the next President of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), the UK body for architecture and the architectural profession. Jane will become President Elect on 1 September 2014 and will take over the two-year elected presidency from Stephen Hodder on 1 September 2015.
The position of RIBA President has been previously held by significant architects Sir G Gilbert Scott and Sir Basil Spence, among others.
Jane is director of Jane Duncan Architects, an award winning practice of 16 architects and interior designers based in Buckinghamshire. Established in 1992, Jane Duncan Architects undertakes a mixture of high-end residential, sports, leisure, commercial and community projects. These vary from sustainable contemporary to traditional and listed buildings.
Speaking today Jane Duncan said:
“I am delighted to be elected and to have the mandate from RIBA members to undertake my election pledges on improving pride, fees and diversity within the architecture profession. Over the next year I will be working hard to support Stephen Hodder and visiting and talking to members and staff across the UK.”
- For further information contact Melanie Mayfield in the RIBA Press Office firstname.lastname@example.org 020 7307 3662
- An image of Jane Duncan can be downloaded from: https://app.box.com/s/b9jr7c67mppk277h63og
- The election turnout was 16.7%; Jane Duncan received 52% of the votes.
- 4. JANE DUNCAN BIOGRAPHY
Jane is director of Jane Duncan Architects, an award winning practice established in 1992, based in Buckinghamshire. The practice has three directors: Jane Duncan and Jonathan Dale (Architects) and Julie Parkinson (Interiors); 16 architects and interior designers and always at least one student.
Jane Duncan Architects’ work is a mixture of high end residential, sports, leisure and commercial, community and healthcare, plus a new venture into high-speed low-cost social housing. The practice works on contemporary, traditional and listed buildings.
Jane Duncan is currently RIBA Equality and Diversity champion (appointed January 2013). Jane has been Chair of the RIBA’s Small Practice Committee, RIBA Council member, RIBA Board member and Vice President Practice and Profession (2007 – 2013).
Jane was the first ever recipient of the Atkins Inspire Award for Inspirational Leader (2007).
Selected RIBA achievements:
- Led 10 years of ‘Guerrilla Tactics’ conferences on small practice business skills
- Instigated toolkits for members dealing with recession, fees, and setting up practice
- Developed wide range of support for large practices including seminars, cross-industry conference and the Future Leaders programmes.
- Established the role of RIBA Equality & Diversity Champion
- Instigated new RIBA groups including: Large Practice Group, Construction Strategy Group to collaborate with industry partners, Regulations & Standards Group to ensure RIBA’s input to new regulations, Competitions Review task group, RIBA for Clients Group, Procurement Strategy Group.
Jane Duncan was the first student from Queen Elizabeth’s Girls Grammar school in Barnet to study architecture; she went on to study at The Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London (UCL).
Prior to setting-up Jane Duncan Architects, Jane spent time as a site engineer for G E Wallis and working in practice in Edinburgh. At the age of 23, whilst working at Halcrow, Jane was elected by 4000 architects worldwide as their union representative.
Jane is married to Ian (Jane Duncan Architects’ practice manager and company secretary) and they have two children. They live in a ‘hempcrete’ eco-house, designed and built for the family five years ago (finalist in the Grand Designs Awards 2010).
Jane is active in her local community. She has been Chair of local revitalisation groups for 15 years, spearheaded the ongoing ‘Vision for Amersham’, gives careers advice to the local schools, and mentors pupils applying for architecture schools.
Jane’s real love (apart from family, parties and architecture) is dancing; she was introduced to salsa 12 years ago and has been hooked ever since.
Posted on Wednesday 23rd July 2014