Wild mushroom tart tatin
Wild mushroom tart tatin and poached hen's egg
200g mixed wild mushrooms
100g light brown sugar
1 sheet of pre-rolled puff pastry
1 hen's egg
2 litres water
Knob of butter
- In a hot pan, cook the mushrooms until the water that comes out has evaporated. Finish with a small knob of butter.
- In an additional small frying pan, use the sugar and a small amount of water to make a caramel.
- While waiting for the mushrooms and caramel, cut a disk out of the puff pastry sheet the same size as the pan you are making the caramel in.
- Once everything has cooled, place the mushrooms on top of the caramel and the puff pastry on top of the mushrooms, making sure to tuck the edges into the mushrooms.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- At the same time in a deep pan poach your egg by bringing to the boil 2 litres of water and 100ml of white vinegar. As it comes to boil, turn down the flame, crack in an egg and simmer until the white is cooked but the yolk is runny.
- Place the poached egg on top of the tart. As you break into the egg, it will become its own sauce.