The National Flag of Canada

 The National Flag of Canada

Regulation of the profession of architecture, including the registration/licensing of architects, is the responsibility of each province. All 10 provinces have self-regulating associations to govern the profession of architecture and to establish registration/licensing requirements. 

There is a broad agreement on the standards for admission to the architectural profession. All provincial associations have common admission standards, regarding education, experience and examination. Such standards facilitate reciprocal registration/licensing from province to province.
Since there is no reciprocity between the UK and Canada, a UK-trained architect would be required to register as an intern with the appropriate provincial association. Each association (except Quebec) requires interns to pass the Architect Registration Examination (ARE) of the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB). Some provinces may have additional requirements before registration, such as the completion of a certain number of hours of practical training. Please contact the association in the province where you wish to practice and request an Intern Registration Package. 
The RIBA, through representation on the Architects Council of Europe, is negotiating a mutual recognition agreement between Canada and the EU. Please continue to watch this space for updates on the negotiations.
The RIBA-equivalent organisation in Canada is the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC). This body is a voluntary national association.
330 - 55 Murray Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1N 5M3
T: +1 (613) 241-3600
F: +1 (613) 241-5750

Top of page