The project involved the comprehensive renovation and re-fitting of the 1950s school theatre to mark the 400th anniversary of the founding of the school and the striking addition of a prismatic glazed entrance building reminiscent of Mies van der Rohe’s Barcelona Pavilion. The new glazed element houses a bar and reception space, which works equally well for non-theatrical purposes.
The flexibility in the design and layout of the new theatre is such that the entire floor can be raised up to the stage level to enable performances to be given in the round.
In the words of the school's Head of Drama: ‘The architect worked extremely closely with us to make the best use of every possible inch of space and exceed our expectations - we're delighted with the outcome.’
Architect: Avery Associates Architects
Client: Repton School
Contractor: Wild Goose Construction Structural
Engineer: SDA Burton
Services Engineer: Fulcrum Consulting (now part of Mott MacDonald)
Contract Value: £2,250,00.00
Date of completion: April 2011
Gross internal area: 1089 sq