From grand infrastructure projects to politics, Britain is experiencing change at a scale that comes just once in a generation. The policy orientated talk series explored the drivers behind recent and future development and how they are reshaping our cities and public spaces - from new railways, Olympic legacy, subversive tactics in public realm and meanwhile uses.
Produced in partnership with Design for London.
Tuesday 31 May 6.30pm - 8pm, RIBA 66 Portland Place London
Chaired by Peter Bill - Columnist at the Evening Standard & Estates Gazette with:
Sir Peter Hall - Bartlett Professor of Planning and Regeneration
Professor Dr. Andrew McNaughton - Chief Engineer, High Speed Two
Chris Williamson - Weston Williamson Architects
John Harding - Lead Architect for Crossrail
Alex Jan - Director of Transaction ARUP
Tuesday 7 June 6.30pm - 8pm, RIBA 66 Portland Place London
Chaired by Dickon Robinson of Building Futures with contributions from:
Bob Allies - Allies & Morrison
Peter Neal - formerly at CABE
Hadrian Garrard - Create London
Eleanor Fawcett - OPLC and
Austin Williams - Future City Project
Tuesday 21 June 6.30pm - 8pm RIBA 66 Portland Place London
- With looming budget cuts and an increasing tendency towards security and behavioural controls, is the vitality of our spaces under threat?
- Do we need to relax our attitudes and planning controls to re-invigorate city space in the face of corporate and budgetary stalemate?
- Are we in a better position than we were 20 years ago?
Chaired by Mark Brearley - Head of Design for London with contributions from:
- Martha Schwartz - Martha Schwartz Partners
- Peter Heath - Atkins Global
- Ben Plowden - Director Better Routes & Places TfL
- Julian Lewis - East Architecture and landscape
- Richard Reynolds - Founder of GuerrillaGardening.org
A flourish of Meanwhiles: Do ‘pop ups’ offer real long term possibilities?
Tuesday 28 June 6.30pm - 8.30pm RIBA 66 Portland Place London
Chaired by Lucy Musgrave - Founder of Publica and with contributions from:
- Indy Johar - 00/: (ZeroZero)
- Klaus Overmeyer - Studio UC Klaus Overmeyer
- Matthew Lloyd - Matthew Lloyd Architects
- Simone Rots - Crimson Architectural Historians
- Dougald Hine - Founder of Space Makers
- Tobias Goevert - Principal Designer, Design for London