Maidstone Museum East Wing

Maidstone Museum East Wing

Scheme name: Maidstone Museum East Wing
Practice: Hugh Broughton Architects
Client: Maidstone Borough Council
Photographer: Hufton + Crow

Copper-clad diamond-patterned walls in the centre of Maidstone - whatever next? Grade II listed and dating back to 1561, the Museum was in terminal decline and in danger of closure. With 13 changes in level, it did not comply with any current regulations. The client and architects have tackled all these problems with enthusiasm and verve. The new ‘gold-clad’ wings have provided substantial additional exhibition space and a ‘window on the park’, advertising the museum to passers-by in the park.