07 February 2013
2:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Green Park, Reading
The seminar will commence with a refresher and overview on the key principles of modern professional liability. The main focus of the seminar is then devoted to applications of these principles to specific areas of architectural practice. Practical areas that will be addressed include:
- Use of letters of intent and the giving of advice on forms of contract and procurement strategies,
- Design liability under traditional employer design and design and build models,
- Liability to client and to third parties by collateral warranty and under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act,
- Liability for contract administration, including certification responsibility and dispute resolution.
- The emphasis throughout is on proactive risk management and dispute avoidance through identification and analysis of potential problem areas.
Speaker: Professor Anthony Lavers LL.B M.Phil PhD D.Litt FRICS Barrister is Counsel in the Construction & Engineering Group of global law firm White & Case, which he joined in 2001. He is Visiting Professor of Law at Oxford Brookes University. He read law at University College London(Joseph Hellyer Prize 1977) and received his PhD from the National University of Singapore for research on professional liability in property and construction. He lectures regularly on the RIBA Part 3 courses at the Architectural Association, at Cambridge, Oxford Brookes and Birmingham and on the Masters in Construction Law at King’s College, London and the University of Vienna.
RIBA/ CIAT Members - £55 + VAT
Others - £80 + VAT
RIBA Student Member - £15 + VAT
CPD Club Member - one place included in the club ticket