The RIBA Awards are given for buildings that have high architectural standards and make a substantial contribution to the local environment. The awards are annual, and have been running continuously since 1966.
Buildings are judged in the first instance by a shortlisting panel in each region, who visit schemes individually and meet to produce a list of buildings to be visited by the region's jury. Each regional jury is made up of a regional representative, a lay assessor from various disciplines and the jury chair, who is a nationally renowned architect and chairs the shortlisting panel. They visit the shortlisted projects, talking to clients and users and assessing design excellence irrespective of style, size or complexity. The jury changes every year.
RIBA Awards 2012
The RSAW is pleased to announce two winners of RIBA Awards 2012.
- Maggie's South West Wales, Singleton Hospital, Sketty Lane, Swansea SA2 8QL by Kisho Kurokawa Architect & Associates with Garbers & James
- Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama, Castle Grounds, Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3ER by BFLS
- Carmarthen Market Hall, Indoor Market, Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire SA311QY by Rio Architects
- Beacon Heating, Parc Gwair, Capel Iwan, Newcastle Emlyn SA38 9LT by Rural Office for Architecture
- Roch Castle, Roch, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire SA626AQ by Acanthus Holden
- Tenby Lifeboathouse, Castle Hill, Tenby by Argent Architects
- Reservoir House, Newport by Scott Brownrigg
- Mariner’s Quay, Old Town Dock, Newport NP20 2BW by Powell Dobson
- Carreg a Gwydr, Monmouthshire by Hall + Bednarczyk Architects
RIBA Awards 2011
For the second year running, the RSAW is pleased to announce seven winners of RIBA Awards 2011
Ty-Hedfan, Brecon, Powys Photo: Featherstone Young
- Student's Union, University of Glamorgan, Llantwit Road, Treforest, Pontypridd, Mid Glamorgan CF37 1DL by Rio Architects
- UWIC School of Management, Cardiff, UIWC, PO Box 377, Western Avenue, Cardiff CF5 2SG by Austin-Smith:Lord LLP
- Ty-Hedfan in Brecon, Powys by Featherstone Young
- Mostyn Gallery, 12 Hoel Vaughan Llandudno LL30 1AB by Ellis Williams Architects
- Blue Door in Chepstow, Monmouthshire by Hall & Bednarczyk Architects Limited
- University of Wales, Newport - City Campus, Usk Way, Newport, Gwent NP20 2BP by BDP
- WISE Building, Centre for Alternative Technology Machynlleth, Powys SY20 9AZ by David Lea and Pat Borer Architects
- Environmental Resource Centre, Steelworks Road, Ty Llwyn, Ebbw Vale, Blaenau Gwent NP23 6AL by Design Research Unit Wales
- Canolfan Cywain, Rural Life Centre, Ysgubor Isaf, Bala LL23 7BE by Dobson Owen
- Carmarthen Market Hall, Carmarthen Indoor Market Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire SA31 1QY by Rio Architects
RIBA Awards 2010
A record seven buildings have won RIBA Awards in Wales in 2010, and these are:
- Margam Discovery Centre, Port Talbot SA13 2TJ by Loyn and Co Architects and Design Research Unit, Welsh School of Architecture
- Creative Business Units, Aberystwyth Arts Centre, Penglais Hill, Aberystwyth SY23 3DE by Heatherwick Studio
- Cardiff Central Library, The Hayes, Cardiff CF10 1FL by BDP (and Stride Treglown Davies)
- Chapter Arts Centre, Market Road, Canton, Cardiff CF5 1QE by Ash Sakula Architects
- Sleeperz Hotel, Station Approach, Saunders Road, Cardiff CF10 1RH by Clash Associates (and Holder Mathias)
- Skypad - Teenage Cancer Trust Unit, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XW by Orms Architecture Design (and Stride Treglown Davies)
- Hafod Eryi (Snowdon Summit Building), Betws Garmon, Caernafon, Gwynedd LL55 4NO by Ray Hole Architects
The winners were announced on 20 May 2010 by the RSAW.
Download the citations and pictures
File size: 130kB
- Oriel Y Parc, St David's, Pembrokeshire SA62 6NW by Smith Roberts Associates
- Idle Rocks, Langland, West Glamorgan by Hyde + Hyde Architects
- Pennard House, Gower, West Glamorgan, SA3 by Hyde + Hyde Architects
- Welsh Joint Education Committee Headquarters, 245 Western Avenue, Cardiff CF5 2YX by Capita Percy Thomas
- 3 Assembly Square, Britannia Quay, Cardiff Bay CF10 4PL by Scott Brownrigg
RIBA Awards 2009
Click here to see pictures of the two winning schemes in 2009.
- Hoddinott Hall, Millenium Centre, Bute Place, Cardiff Bay CF10 5AL by Capita Architecture
- Renal And Cardiac Building, West Wales General Hospital, Carmarthen SA31 2AF by Nightingale Associates
- Raglan Castle Visitor Centre, Raglan, Monmouthshire, NP15 2BT by Davies Sutton Architects
- Nant Fawr Court, Heol Esgyn, Cyncoed, Cardiff CF23 6JT by Loyn and Co Architects
RIBA Awards 2008
Blaenavon World Heritage Centre, Blaenavon World Heritage Centre, Church Road, Blaenavon NP4 9AS, by Purcell Miller Tritton
This announcement was highlighted on the BBC website.
- St David's Cathedral, Cloister Project, Cathedral Close, St David's, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire SA62 6RH, by Caroe + Partners
- Newport City Footbridge, River Usk, Newport by Grimshaw
- Ysgol Ifor Bach, Primary School for Caerphilly County Council, Windsor Way, Fford Ifor, Abertridwr, South Glamorgan CF83 4AB by van Heyningen and Haward Architects
- The Houses at Clyne, Clyne Castle, Mill Lane, Swansea SA3 5BW, by Holder Mathias Architects
The announcement of the 2008 RIBA Award winners was made on 29 May 2008 by the RSAW.
Click here to see winners of previous RIBA Awards.