Our aim is for 66 Portland Place to become a major cultural destination and a source of exhibitions that reflect the excellence of our collections. Exhibitions drawn from these collections have travelled the world, but there is currently no space at the RIBA suitable for their display.
Creating a new museum-quality architecture gallery will enable us to stage first-rate changing exhibitions that will bring our collections to a wider audience. To do this we are extending public access by combining and opening up a series of rooms off the main entrance hall, enlivening 66 Portland Place the moment visitors walk through the door.
The new gallery will:
- Provide the first museum-quality space at 66 Portland Place
- Create a flexible second room – The Studio Space – for complementary displays, activities and education
- Provide these as fully accessible facilities on the ground floor
- Exemplify the RIBA’s commitment to quality design and craftsmanship
- Increase the impact of the RIBA’s role as the champion of better buildings, communities and the environment
- Host a programme of free exhibitions that we will tour to further venues.