Inland Revenue Headquarters BuildingDesigned by Hopkins Architects, Inland Revenue Headquarters comprises seven seperate buildings in the form of courtyards and L-shaped blocks lined with trees which allows access to the city centre through the site.
The Inland Revenue wanted to relocate their head office and its 1800 employees to a new building in Nottingham. The new building needed to be of the highest architectural quality, both in terms of external appearance and internal working environment. Hopkins Architects were selected as competition winners and the building was officially opened in 1994.
The head office comprises seven separate buildings in the form of courtyards and L-shaped blocks lined with trees which allows access to the city centre through the site.
The main amenity building, with a dramatic fabric roof suspended from four masts, is featured in the middle of the other buildings. This is both the visual and social centre of the complex, containing a multi-purpose sports hall, bar and restaurant.
The Centre was a pioneering ‘Green’ project in the UK.