De La Warr Pavilion
Designed by Niall McLaughlin Architects, De La Warr Pavilion is an inspirational bandstand built to withstand the coastal elements.
In 1998, the Pavilion Trust in conjunction with Rother District Council held an RIBA competition to select an architect to design and build a new bandstand for the De La Warr Pavilion at Bexhill on Sea. The chosen site was at the south terrace of Erich Mendelsohn and Serge Chermayeff’s 1935 pavilion.
The competition attracted 35 original applications; 8 were shortlisted for interviews and Niall McLaughlin Architects were chosen as winners of the competition.
The £54,000 bandstand was an inspirational commission and involved wide consultation with the local community. Children from six local primary schools were involved in generating ideas. Their schemes, including waves, shells, sails and seagulls informed the design process.
The design started with a relatively simple shape made from a curved sheet of paper, and was later, after consultation with the acoustic engineers, given a waved profile to break up the sound waves. The final shape is designed to project sound without distortion, resist huge wind loads and provide a practical shelter for bands, which in bad weather can be turned round to have its back to the wind.
The bandstand was officially opened in December 2001.
RIBA Award 2002
RIAI Award Overseas 2002
Highly Commended – International AR + D Awards 2002
Civic Trust Commendation 2003
Highly Commended – The Wood Awards 2003