This project encompasses two adjacent plots, one involves the refurbishment of a 1920’s landmark building by Horace Trumbauer and adjacent to that a new building is being erected. The design provides for four new luxury apartments, combining the beauty of a long standing New York City landmark with the convenience of a new classical building. This building, according to the New York Landmarks Commission, is the first truly Classical building to be built in the city since the 1960's.
From the very beginning of the design stage, it was crucial for the new building at No. 5 E. 95th Street to maintain and enhance the existing street frontage off 95th Street. In its relationships to the existing Trumbauer building, Simpson’s design strikes a balance between physical and representative similarities, and architectural invention. This equilibrium succeeds in allowing the two buildings to work as one whilst allowing the rhythm of the streetscape to continue uninterrupted with each site having its own entrance on the street. Contextually, the new building takes advantage of the courtyard to the East of the site which is the property of the neighbouring House of the Redeemer, also a historic landmark building. This has allowed the new design to make something of a celebration of the corner using a large window and balcony to look down 95th Street.
The interiors and exteriors of the building are intricately detailed and the traditional design of the building has forced the local contractors to recall the marks of their trades. The stonework on the front of the building is all load bearing and is embellished with crafted metalwork, sculpted limestone and hand carved Greek classical details. The plasterwork of the interior and the joinery is also all traditionally crafted.