How to fund your architecture studies

Thinking of undertaking a degree in architecture? Outlined below are some of the costs you will need to consider, as well as funding opportunities available. 


tuition fees and living costs 

As a University student you are likely to have two main costs to meet: tuition fees and living expenses. Most students need pay no tuition fees upfront, as these should be covered by a tuition fee loan. Student support through maintenance loans are also available to help with living costs. These loans accrue interest and the repayments are contingent on your future income. Additionally, depending on the university you study at, and your family income, you may be entitled to apply for grants and bursaries that you do not need to repay.

Please refer to the information about student finance on the government's student finance pages at

For information about managing your money, the UCAS website has some helpful information on budgeting and debt management.

Day-to-day living costs can vary considerably depending on where you live and study. Most universities publish information about the costs of living on their websites. The NASMA also has a helpful section about budgeting for students and the National Union of Students (NUS) publishes some research-backed advice on the cost of studying.

The Money Saving Expert website provides straightforward, independent advice for students and parents.

The RIBA has also conducted a biennial survey on student finances.

additional costs for architecture students

Many students who are about to embark on studying architecture may well consider the value of such a long course of study.  However, students need not pay the tuition fees upfront: through the student loans system, your tuition fee and maintenance loans are repaid according to your earnings after you graduate.

Architecture students will also have to budget annually for printingmaterialstravel for site visits and field trips. The costs of these additional materials and activities can vary considerably from school to school, so it is worth asking current students and staff at the schools you are considering, so that you can factor this into your budget. You might like to take a look at our RIBA Student Finances Survey.

student finances available if you live in england

Any full-time student for whom their Part 1 degree is their first course of Higher Education* is eligible to apply for tuition fee and maintenance loan funding for both their Part 1 and Part 2, which are viewed as a single course (subject to various conditions) if studied on a full-time basis, even if the student is additionally awarded a postgraduate degree (such as an M.Arch) and as long as the content of Part 2 is undergraduate level and undergraduate fees are charged. 

Current student support regulations permit students to change institutions between the Part 1 and Part 2 stages.  However, students should research their funding entitlements carefully if they are considering (but not limited to) any of these further options:

  • changing their mode of study (e.g. from full-time to part-time study)
  • taking more than three academic years out between Part 1 and Part 2
  • undertaking a specialist Masters programme after Part 1, prior to starting Part 2

Any of these actions could limit the funding that a student is entitled to apply for, and could also affect the level of tuition fee they are expected to pay.

The relevant legislation is the Education (Student Support) Regulations 2011

Students enrolled with their universities as 'year-out' students between their Parts 1 and 2, for example on a 'sandwich' programme, may be entitled to apply for student loans for that year, even if they are undertaking paid practical experience.  Students should seek advice from Student Finance England and from their student services department.

Full-time students can also apply for a Maintenance Loan to help with their living costs.  The exact amount a student can borrow will depend on various criteria, but the maximum amounts available can be found on the student finance pages at

To be considered as a continuing student and remain on the same student finance package, Part 2 must be undertaken no more than three academic years after completing Part 1. For example, a student who completed Part 1 in July 2013, takes a break of three academic years and starts Part 2 in September 2016, would usually be treated as being on a single course.  However, students who are considering undertaking specialist postgraduate programmes should check with the relevant authorities as to the effect this may have on their eligibility for continued funding.

*Publicly funded institutions only. The Royal College of Art and Architectural Association have different fee regulations.

Part-time students

Part-time students for whom Part 1 is their first degree and who started their course from 2012 onwards are entitled to apply for a tuition fee loan for their Part 1 degree and can find further information on the student finance pages at In the Spending Review Autumn Statement in 2015, the government announced the intention to introduce new part-time maintenance loans from 2018-19 to support the cost of living while studying.  Further information will be provided in due course.

The single course provision in the Education (Student Support) Regulations applies only where both parts of the architecture course are undertaken on a full-time basis. Students that study Part 1 full-time and then plan to do Part 2 on a part-time basis, or indeed study both parts on a part-time basis, cannot be treated as being on a single course and would not be entitled to apply for tuition fee or maintenance loans for their Part 2 studies. Your Part 1 degree will also be taken into account in relation to the level of tuition fees that you pay, as your fee level will be unregulated, meaning your university can set their own fee level.  This means that higher fees may well be payable. However, as of 2016/17, students may be eligible for a Postgraduate Loan for a Part 2 Master of Architecture course where they are ineligible for undergraduate support for this course, for example where the Master of Architecture course is studied on a part-time basis. Please refer to the policy summary for more information.

Funding for study abroad

Student studying on a course at a UK university or college who study outside the UK as part of their course can apply for full student finance. In addition, there are some special provisions for them if they're studying for at least the majority of a term abroad. More information can be found on the Student Finance England website.

equivalent or lower qualifications (ELQs) - do you already have a degree? 

The provision of student funding is generally focussed on those students studying a higher education qualification for the first time.  Therefore, if you already hold a degree, in some circumstances you may be assessed as an ELQ student, meaning you already hold an equivalent or lower level qualification.  Under the Education (Student Support) Regulations, you may not be entitled to financial support such as tuition fee and maintenance loans, although some exceptions are made for students studying architecture, and more details can be found below.  Furthermore, the level of tuition fee that you pay may be unregulated, meaning you could be charged at a higher level by your university.

You may be classed as an ELQ student if (but not limited to):

  • you have completed your Part 1 on a full-time basis, but subsequently change your mode of study to part-time for your Part 2
  • you have completed Part 1 on a part-time basis and subsequently wish to undertake your Part 2
  • you undertook a specialist Masters course between Part 1 and Part 2
  • you hold a degree already in a different subject, but subsequently wish to study architecture

In the first two circumstances, you are unlikely to be eligible for any further student support, and you will need to self-finance your studies.

However, exceptionally, if you already hold a degree but wish to study architecture on a full-time basis, or in some circumstances if you undertook a specialist Masters between Part 1 and Part 2, the Education (Student Support) Regulations permit you to apply for a maintenance loan during both your Part 1 and Part 2 studies.  However, you will need to pay for your tuition fees yourself, and the fee level will be unregulated.

You should seek further advice from Student Finance England.

changes of circumstances and overpayments by the student loans company 

If it becomes clear following an application for funding or following a reassessment of circumstances that an individual student has been incorrectly awarded student funding, then the Student Loans Company is entitled to withdraw funding and has a statutory duty to recover this money.  This is the case even if the student had originally been informed they were eligible for support.  Regulations 117-119 of the Education (Student Support) Regulations are the relevant references.  The recovery of the overpaid amount will be conducted on a case by case basis.

The student finance application process requires students to sign a declaration to agree that they will repay any overpayment.

options available if you normally live in wales 

If you normally live in Wales, you may be eligible for services provided by Student Finance Wales.

options available if you normally live in scotland 

If you normally live in Scotland, you may be eligible for services provided by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland.

options available if you normally live in northern ireland

If you normally live in Northern Ireland, you may be eligible for services provided byStudent Finance Northern Ireland.

international and eu students

If you are planning to study in the UK your fee status will be determined by the UK institution that you plan to attend. Information about student loans and other funding available to you is available on the GOV.UK website. Other useful websites include the UCAS website, the UK Council for International Student Affairs and the British Council website.

Following the referendum on the UK’s membership of the European Union held in June 2016, students may like to view the statement on higher education and research from Jo Johnson, Minister of State for Universities and Science.

students with disabilities

Students with disabilities can apply for extra support such as the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA). Please refer to the GOV.UK website

RIBA sources of funding

The RIBA Education department administers a number of bursary and scholarship schemes to support students of architecture.  Please refer to our Student Funding pages for full information about the opportunities on offer.

what other funding is available?

  • There are many organisations and bodies that support students with the cost of their education. Our Financial Assistance document provides a list for architecture students to consider.

  • Some architectural practices may sponsor students of architecture – for example, by contributing to the Part 2 course fees of a student who has worked in the practice between Parts 1 and 2.

  • Some universities operate bursary schemes for their students. You should therefore research the options available at universities you intend to apply to.

  • Some students may wish to take out a Career Development Loan to help meet the cost of their studies. Other useful information can be accessed on the UCAS website, the NASMA Student website and Turn2Us, a charitable service that helps people to access grants and benefits.

  • Join the RIBA for free as a student member to receive our monthly enewsletter, providing the latest funding opportunities and scholarship updates.


Information Disclaimer

The information provided by the RIBA is intended to be informative only and is not a substitute for legal or other professional advice or intended to be relied upon. You should consult an appropriate professional for specific advice tailored to your situation. By accessing and using the Site the User acknowledges that any reliance upon any information obtained or received via the Site will be at the User's sole risk.