While we hope you will find the information you need on the RIBA website, we have also published below answers to some of the most frequently asked questions we receive.


I would like to become an architect – will my degree in a related discipline help me to fast track my studies?  

If you have a degree in a subject related to architecture, such as architecture technology or interior architecture, then you could apply to enter a Part 1 course at an advanced stage, transferring academic credit towards modules whose content you may have already covered.  You are advised to discuss this possibility and the process involved at the earliest possible stage, directly with the course provider you are applying to. You should also consider how you will fund your studies, as your eligibility for student support may be limited if you already hold a higher education qualification.

Can the RIBA recommend a particular course in architecture? 

Each qualification validated by the RIBA has gone through a rigorous peer review process that monitors compliance with internationally recognised minimum standards in architectural education and encourages excellence and diversity in student achievement.  The RIBA doesn’t publish a league table of qualifications, or promote any particular course.  The best way to find out if a course will suit you is to read the school's prospectus and website carefully, ask questions about course content and structure, and visit the school on an open day or at the end-of-year degree show. That way you can find out what sort of work the school produces, meet staff and current students, and get a sense of the place where you may choose to study.

You may also like to consult general sources of information about higher education in the media, such as the Unistats website or the websites of The Guardian, The Times, The Independent, the Architects Journal or Building Design. 

I am interested in studying abroad for my Part 2, having completed my Part 1 in the UK?  

There are many factors to consider if you want to study the next stage of your qualifications outside the UK, such as future recognition for the purpose of Architects Registration Board (ARB) registration and RIBA membership; recognition in Europe under the Professional Qualifications Directive; the cost of your fees; funding entitlement etc.  You are advised to contact the ARB regarding the process of assessing your proposed qualification for equivalence to the UK standard levels.  

Can the RIBA advise me about tuition fees and student funding that may be available?  

The RIBA aims to signpost students to information on tuition fees and student funding that is relevant and current.  Students should be aware that the RIBA cannot intervene in individual cases, and are advised to ask for any funding decisions to be put in writing by the appropriate funding bodies and university registries.