Six innovative ideas for houses of the future have just been revealed as part of Taylor Wimpey’s Project 2020 Open Design Competition, which was launched earlier this year in partnership with the RIBA.
The creative designs by the six shortlisted entrants: Artform Architects, Igor Russo with Flanagan Lawrence, More Design, NewGround Architects, Origin 3 Studio and Openstudio Architects are now available to view at www.ribacompetitions.com/taylorwimpey. RIBA and Taylor Wimpey are inviting comments on the design ideas, with participants entered into a free prize draw to win one of five £100 home technology vouchers.
Once comments have closed at 2pm on Friday 2nd December 2016, the entries will be judged by a panel including: Taylor Wimpey’s Chief Executive Pete Redfern, UK Director of Design Nick Rogers and UK Sales and Marketing Director Kevin Belsham, as well as Glenn Howells, from Glenn Howells Architects, RIBA Adviser, and Sasha Bhavan, from Knox Bhavan Architects.
Taylor Wimpey will work with the winning team to develop their designs with a view to building a prototype, which could then be used in Taylor Wimpey’s wider standard portfolio of homes.
John Gainham, Divisional Managing Director for Taylor Wimpey says:
“We have been very impressed with the quality of the entries in our Project 2020 Open Design Competition – which is aimed at exploring trends, changes and innovation in design, architecture and technology to help shape our range of new-build homes for 2020 and beyond.
The initial concept brief asked for the design to consider key elements such as natural light, space for living and storage, flexibility and adaptability, and health and wellbeing, as well as functional requirements and a range of technology and construction considerations. We now have detailed designs from the six shortlisted entrants to consider further.
The competition offers a fantastic opportunity for the winning architect to see their designs potentially replicated across Taylor Wimpey’s portfolio of homes.”
The shortlisted designs can be viewed at www.ribacompetitions.com/taylorwimpey which will be open for comments until 2pm on Friday 02 December 2016.
Further information on Taylor Wimpey is available at www.taylorwimpey.co.uk.
Notes to Editors:
At this stage of the competition, the entries are not to be linked to the individual entrants.
RIBA Competitions delivers choice, inspiration and value to clients through expertly run competitive selection processes. The dedicated RIBA Competitions team can help you explore the full potential of your project, for further information visit www.architecture.com/competitions or email RIBA.Competitions@riba.org
The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) is a global professional membership body that serves its members and society in order to deliver better buildings and places, stronger communities and a sustainable environment. www.architecture.com Follow us on Twitter for regular RIBA updates www.twitter.com/RIBA
Taylor Wimpey UK, part of Taylor Wimpey plc, is one of the largest residential developers in the UK, developing new homes and communities across the country.
Taylor Wimpey operates from 24 regional offices across England, Scotland and Wales and builds over 13,000 homes each year. Taylor Wimpey is a responsible homebuilder that is committed to health and safety, environmental sustainability, providing excellent customer service and engaging with local communities.
- Taylor Wimpey has a strong and sustainable customer base, with over 90% owner-occupiers. First time buyers accounted for 36% of Taylor Wimpey’s completions in 2015, with a range of offers available to help first time buyers purchase a home of their own.
- Taylor Wimpey’s Customer Service Charter is fully compliant with the 2010 Consumer Code.
- Taylor Wimpey does much more than build homes; it strives to make a positive contribution to both local communities and the local area. In 2015 Taylor Wimpey contributed over £335 million to local communities in which it builds across the UK via planning obligations, providing, for example, local infrastructure, affordable homes, public transport and education facilities.
- Taylor Wimpey continues to innovate with its range of house designs on developments across the UK. The range is designed to be high quality and extremely energy efficient. The house types are very flexible with different internal layouts and a wide range of exteriors that complement local landscapes and streetscapes.
- Taylor Wimpey seeks to be an inclusive company which values people as individuals – whether they are employees, customers or other stakeholders. We aim to be successful through a creative and innovative workforce that reflects the diversity of the local communities in which we work. Embracing diversity enables Taylor Wimpey to succeed in a competitive environment.
- Taylor Wimpey is committed to a continuous programme of engagement with local communities throughout the lifetime of a development. Taylor Wimpey actively seeks the views of local communities and other stakeholders, and develops a tailored planning and community engagement strategy for each site, working closely with communities and other local stakeholders throughout all aspects of the planning process.
For further information please visit www.taylorwimpey.co.uk
Posted on Tuesday 22nd November 2016