Make a Lego version of your own house, build a competition-winning sandcastle in the shape of Houses of Parliament, feast your eyes and tastebuds on a real ale walking tour of the hidden architecture of your town.
The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) is inviting the great British public to celebrate the places and buildings they love this summer with the nationwide Love Architecture Festival.
The 10 day festival from 21 – 30 June features over 300 events including architecture sandcastle competitions, Lego build challenges, architecture ‘surgeries’ in John Lewis stores, movies, exhibitions, behind-the-scenes building tours, pub trails, photo hunts, cycle tours, tea with an architect, architectural crazy golf and lots of model making, drawing and creative adventures just for kids.
Events are happening around the country; in St Ives in Cornwall you can see a puppet show revealing the secrets and mysteries of some of the town’s most famous buildings, in Liverpool you can explore a sculptural inflatable pavilion; and the Sandcastles Challenge will hit some of the UK’s most popular beaches - bring the family, experiment with weird and wonderful design ideas and enter your sandy creations for judging.
To find an event near you, go to www.lovearchitecture.org
Below, is just a small selection of the events taking place:
- ‘Architect in the Store’ at selected John Lewis’ including: Cambridge, Cardiff, Cribbs Causeway, Leicester, Liverpool, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Nottingham, Reading, Sheffield, Solihull and Southampton – your chance to pick up some great architecture advice
- Architectural Features at Picturehouse and other independent cinemas is a nationwide series of film events celebrating the special relationship between architecture and cinema. Films include Metropolis, The Fountainhead, The Belly of an Architect, The Way we Live, Of Time and the City, How much does your building weigh, Mr Foster?, Inception, Gataca, North by North West
- The RIBA Sandcastle Challenge will be on Margate beach on Saturday 29 June, next to the Turner Contemporary gallery which is organising several special events including a tour of the exhibition galleries with an exhibition designer from David Chipperfield Architects and a display of architectural models
- A tour of Park Hill, Europe’s largest listed building and a day of super city model making for kids to create a fantasy skyline for Sheffield
- Exclusive tours of real life eco-homes in Brighton
Full listings of all events will be available at www.lovearchitecture.org
Listings will be updated regularly in the coming weeks.
Notes to editors
- For further press information please contact Howard Crosskey 020 7307 3761 email@example.com. .
- A selection of press images for the Love Architecture Festival are available for download at: https://www.box.com/s/eca7ad772ea0fe0c8b73
- The Royal Institute of British Architects champions better buildings, communities and the environment through architecture and our members. www.architecture.com. .
- The John Lewis Partnership The John Lewis Partnership operates 39 John Lewis shops across the UK (30 department stores and nine John Lewis at home), johnlewis.com, 291 Waitrose shops, waitrose.com and business to business contracts in the UK and abroad. The business has annual gross sales of over £9.5bn. It is the UK's largest example of worker co-ownership where all 84,700 staff are Partners in the business.
- John Lewis - John Lewis, 'Retailer of the Year 2013'* , 'The Nation's Best Retailer'** and 'Multichannel Retailer of the Year 2013'*, typically stocks more than 350,000 separate lines in its department stores. The website stocks over 200,000 products focused on the best of fashion, beauty, home and giftware and electrical items including online exclusives. johnlewis.com is consistently ranked one of the top online shopping destinations in the UK. www.johnlewis.com
* Oracle Retail Week Awards 2013
** Verdict Consumer Satisfaction Awards 2013John Lewis Insurance offers a range of comprehensive insurance products - home, car, wedding and event, travel and pet insurance and life cover - delivering the usual values of expertise, trust and customer service expected from the John Lewis brand.* Oracle Retail Week Awards 2013** Verdict Consumer Satisfaction Awards 2013John Lewis Insurance offers a range of comprehensive insurance products - home, car, wedding and event, travel and pet insurance and life cover - delivering the usual values of expertise, trust and customer service expected from the John Lewis brand.* Oracle Retail Week Awards 2013** Verdict Consumer Satisfaction Awards 2013