the riba pension

Frequently asked questions - if your question isn't answered here, please get in touch: or 020 7307 3737.


How do I find out the staging date for my practice? 

Every business will have a staging date, by which it must comply with auto enrolment legislation. You should receive written notification from The Pensions Regulator approximately one year before your staging date, but you can check your date at any time using this online tool.

My practice is staging in 2016; what do I need to do now?

At this stage, you should be thinking about the budgetary and strategic implications of auto enrolment. You may want to consult with your employees. You should also be deciding on the most suitable auto enrolment compliant pension solution for your practice. If you decide to choose the RIBA Pension, you should submit your application form at least 3 months before your staging date so that you have plenty of time to generate and analyse your worker assessment report, make detailed plans for introducing the RIBA Pension, and communicate with your employees.

Can we sign up before our staging date?

Yes. No one will be automatically enrolled until you stage, but you can get the scheme set up and invite some or all employees to enrol voluntarily.

Can I join as a sole practitioner?

Yes. There is a minimum monthly contribution of £100 per month or £1,200 per year, and an administration fee, which is £80 on sign up and £40 per year thereafter for RIBA chartered practices. You will not require the compliance software. If you wish, you can transfer funds invested with other pension providers into the RIBA Pension to benefit from the lower annual charges, at no additional cost.

I work for a practice that won't be signing up; can I join as an individual?

Unfortunately as the RIBA Pension is an employer pension scheme and not an individual arrangement, you will not be able to join the scheme if your practice does not sign up.

My practice is not based in the UK; can we sign up?

For a practice to join the RIBA Pension it must be UK registered and the employees need to be UK tax payers. 

Where can I find more detailed information? 

We now have an online documents library containing forms and guidance to help you choose, set up and manage the RIBA Pension.