The Maltings , Castlegate , MALTON , North Yorkshire , YO17 7DP
The Croft is a large country house built in 1872 as a vicarage for the village of Kirkby Wharfe. On retirement of the incumbent, the Estate purchased the house and outbuildings and a new smaller vicarage was erected elsewhere. Bramhall Blenkharn were selected from a number of architects to convert the stables and coach house into additional accommodation and to provide a new link building which would provide a light-filled room from which the client could enjoy the garden. The project required a sensitive approach respecting the original property which was penned by architect W J Atkinson but which allowed for the maximum openness and flexibility which comes from a contemporary solution.