Black Chapel North End, Essex: the Gothick priest's house flanked on the left by the medieval chapel

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA38998
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityNorth End
Subject Date1800
Image Date1950
ViewExterior
StyleGothic Revival
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/ENG/3719 (ES2852.7)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This is a rare survival of an entirely timber-framed ecclesiastical building, comprising a medieval chapel with attached priest's house. The earliest part of the structure is the 14th century tie-beam in the chancel.

Subject tags

Chapels, vicarages