Boxgrove Priory (Priory Church of St Mary and St Blaise), Boxgrove, West Sussex: altars in one of the side aisles

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA100236
Architect/DesignerScott, Sir George Gilbert (1811-1878)
Artist/PhotographerIngle, Richard (1927-2010)
CountryUK: England
CityBoxgrove
Subject Date1100
Image Date1998
ViewInterior
StyleGothic
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceIngle 98-48
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Richard Ingle / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This Benedictine priory was a monastic institution with a double church: the parish church to the west, and the monastic church, or 'Quire', to the east. The church dates from the 12th century and is a fine example of Norman and Early English architecture. It was dissolved in 1536 and thereafter served as the parish church. The nave is early 13th century and the foliage decoration in the vaulting, 16th century Flemish. It was restored by Scott in 1864.

Subject tags

churches, arches, church fittings, monasteries & convents, altars