Monastery of Batalha: the fountain in the centre of the Royal Cloister

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA80641
Architect/DesignerMaster Huguet (d.1438)
Artist/PhotographerTutt, Patricia A.
Subject Date1517
Image Date2011
MediumDigital image
Library Reference6011135
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Patricia Tutt / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on this Dominican monastery (Mosteiro Santa Maria da Vitoria) began in 1388 and was not completed until 1517. Fifteen architects (Mestre das Obras da Batalha) were involved, who deployed new techniques and artistic styles, hitherto unknown in Portugal. Master Huguet took over the construction of the monastery in 1402 and oversaw the completion of the church, the cloisters and the chapter house.

Subject tags

fountains, decorative stonework, cloisters, monasteries & convents