New university building abutting Firth Court, Western Bank, University of Sheffield: the entrance approach marked by bronze sculpture

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA63245
Architect/DesignerGollins Melvin Ward & Partners
Artist/PhotographerSnoek, Henk (1915-1980)
CountryUK: England
CitySheffield
Subject Date1963
Image Date1963
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumNegative
Library ReferenceS63 2502
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Henk Snoek / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Firth Court, designed by E. M. Gibbs and built in 1903-1905, originally housed most of the departments in the University. The three-storey block was part of the comprehensive development plan for the Western Bank area of Sheffield University won in competition by Gollins Melvin Ward & Partners in 1953.

Subject tags

University buildings, curtain walling, entrances, sculpture