Photomontage of proposed re-erection of the Temple Bar at Ludgate Hill, City of London

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA14197
Architect/DesignerSeely & Paget
Wren, Sir Christopher (1632-1723)
Artist/PhotographerBedford Lemere & Co.
CountryUK: England
Subject Date1672
Image Date1950
StyleClassical Revival
Library Reference46541/3
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Temple Bar, the only surviving gateway to the City of London, was moved from its original site in Fleet Street in 1878. It was re-erected in Theobalds Park in 1888, forming a grand entrance to the country estate. Its reconstruction at Paternoster Square next to St Paul's Cathedral was completed in November 2004. This photomontage shows Wren's Temple Bar re-erected at the foot of Ludgate Hill by the King Lud pub.

Subject tags

town planning, gateways, Feature: Unbuilt London