SS Severino e Sossio, Naples: detail of the choir stalls

RIBApix ref no RIBA93014
Architect/DesignerDi Palma, Giovan Francesco detto Mormanno (fl. 1506-1570)
Mormanno, Giovanni Francesco (1455-1552)
Artist/PhotographerBenton, Tim
CountryItaly
CityNaples
Subject Date1573
Image Date1970
ViewInterior
StyleRenaissance
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceBenton 35
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Tim Benton / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The foundations of the present church were begun in 1490 by the architect Giovanni Francesco Mormanno. It was completed in the 1560s by his son-in-law Giovan Francesco di Palma detto Mormanno, when the cupola was added. The church was redecorated in the 18th century but restored to its 16th century state in the mid 20th century. The choir stalls were added in 1560-1573 by Benvenuto Tortelli.

Subject tags

churches, church fittings