St Cuthbert, Great Salkeld, Cumbria: the pele tower

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA6937
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityGreat Salkeld
Subject Date1375
Image Date1950
ViewExterior
StyleMedieval
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/CHU/1147 (ES401)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The original Saxon church was rebuilt in Norman style in 1080. The pele tower (peel tower) was added in 1380, with an iron door for defence of the inhabitants against the Scots.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, churches, fortifications