St Leonards on Sea, East Sussex: view of the west end of the marina, Victoria House and St Leonard's Church

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA31490
Architect/DesignerBurton, James (1761-1837)
Artist/PhotographerFoulon, John (c. 1794-c. 1882)
CountryUK: England
CitySt Leonards on Sea
Subject Date1830
Image Date1830
ViewExterior
MediumPrint
Library ReferenceSC183SUSSEX2/1/1
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The church seen here is the parish church of St Leonard's, designed by James Burton (1834). It was replaced in 1961 by a church designed by Giles and Adrian Gilbert Scott following the destruction of the original building in 1944. The print was probably made around 1835 or 1836 following Princess Victoria's stay with her mother in 1834-1835. The house they stayed in, 57 Marina (the smaller building with four pairs of columns at first floor level), was renamed Victoria House after they left and now known as Crown House. For an uncoloured version of this print see RIBA85136.

Subject tags

housing, churches, seaside architecture, boats, terraces, At Home in Britain: Terrace