The Grove (later Abney Hall), Cheadle: perspective of the entrance front

RIBApix ref no RIBA85275
CountryUK: England
CityCheadle
Subject Date1847
Image Date1850
ViewExterior
MediumPrint
Library ReferenceSC194/1(54)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This lithograph was prepared for Edward Twycross, Mansions of England and Wales, the county palatine of Cheshire, vols. 4-5. The house was erected for Alfred Orrell, to the designs of unknown architects, on the site of the Cheadle Grove Printing Works, built in 1760 and later burnt down. The house was completed in 1847, but when Orrell died in January 1849 it was sold to Sir James Watts of Manchester who enlarged it in the 1850s (architects Travis & Magnall) with interior decoration by A. W. N. Pugin, carried out by J. G. Crace. The house was further enlarged and altered in the 1890s. This print must have been prepared for its publication in 1850 prior to Orrell's death, so probably was drawn in 1847-1848.

Subject tags

country houses