Wells Cathedral, Somerset: the Close Tower and Vicars' Close seen from the north

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA38011
Artist/PhotographerDeakin, Ralph (1888-1952)
CountryUK: England
CityWells
Subject Date1348
Image Date1930
ViewExterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceDK/UK/134/3 (DKN/UK/403)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Ralph Deakin / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: In 1348, Bishop Ralph of Shrewsbury established the vicars of Wells, subordinate members of the cathedral in orders, giving them a college and their own quarters, the Vicars' Close.

Subject tags

towers, cathedrals, vicarages