Woburn Abbey: the grotto

RIBApix ref no RIBA5361
Architect/DesignerDe Caus, Isaac (d. 1656?)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityWoburn Abbey
Subject Date1620
Image Date1966
Library ReferenceESP/ENG/4544 (ES11473)
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Woburn Abbey became the seat of the Russell family in 1547 and of the Dukes of Bedford from 1694. The Abbey was largely rebuilt between 1744 and 1790 by Henry Flitcroft and Henry Holland. The house and park were opened to the public in 1955.

Subject tags

country houses, fantastic architecture, grottoes, shells